You can save money and time by opting for orthopaedic surgery abroad as costs abroad for orthopaedic treatment are lower than in UK private clinics, and there are no waiting lists. As a rule, the cost of surgery abroad is lower than in the UK. Orthopaedic surgery in the UK can be very expensive, and in many EU countries, the same procedure can be found at a fraction of the cost. Often this means that you can combine your orthopaedic surgery with a holiday, for less than the price of having the same orthopaedic surgery alone in the UK.
What are savings for having surgery abroad
The actual cost savings you can make by having surgery abroad will vary depending on the procedure you want and the country you want to go to. Many popular treatment destinations abroad offer savings of 50- 80% compared to the cost of private orthopaedic surgery in the UK.
Other costs besides costs of the treatment itself
There are more costs to surgery abroad than just the cost of the procedure itself. You need to fly and pay for your stay, and you may also need to consider these costs for a person that goes abroad with you. Private medical can offer complete packages, that will including arranging flights, accommodation and your aftercare holiday break, all for one set price. You can arrange your trip and then you will need to consider all the costs flight, transfer, accommodation and meals.
Private orthopaedic clinics abroad usually offer package deals that would include transfer to and from the airport, orthopaedic surgery, after operation care, stay at 3 or 4-star hotels for you and person who accompanies you.
Cost of orthopaedic surgery in a private clinic abroad:
- – ACL reconstruction is starting from £3000,
- – knee endoprosthesis is starting from £4500,
- – arthroscopy surgery is starting from £2500.
Even if the total cost of orthopaedic surgery for your treatment is greater than having the treatment in UK private clinic, it may still be worth considering as part of your holiday plans as it will cover part of your trip. In addition, NHS allows you to bypass the NHS queue for orthopaedic surgery, by reimbursing costs of treatment, if you receive private treatment abroad. So actual costs for surgery will be much lower than planned.
Cost of surgery in a private clinic abroad after NHS refund:
- – ACL reconstruction is starting from £700,
- – knee endoprosthesis is starting from £900,
- – arthroscopy surgery is starting from £600.
Why surgery abroad is cheaper?
Orthopaedic surgery abroad is cheaper because their costs of service are lower. The wages paid to the orthopaedic surgeons and private clinic staff abroad can be far less than those paid in the UK. It is far less expensive to run a private clinic abroad than if it is to run one of a similar standard here in the UK, so clinic abroad to cut their prices they don’t have to charge as much for their services. Orthopaedic service will be provided in high quality and by best orthopaedic surgeons.
Why did patients choose to have orthopaedic operation abroad?
There are more than one reasons depending on diagnose, required treatment, costs and others, these reasons include:
- Costs of surgery – treatment abroad can often be found at a fraction of the price in the UK.
- No waiting lists –NHS are having long waiting lists for treatment, but by travelling you can get treatment significantly sooner. And in some cases get a refund for treatment abroad.
- New surgery treatments – NHS often offers the cheapest available orthopaedic implant, but in private clinic abroad you and your doctor can choose the best available implant.
- Specialist services – private clinics abroad tend to offer specialised orthopaedic surgeons, well educated medical staff newest medical equipment. In situations when you are paying for service, you are expecting high-level orthopaedic surgeon and that is what private medical clinics abroad do offer. And who would not want to be treated by the same doctor who has operated professional athletes?
Quality of private orthopaedic surgery clinics abroad
You might be concerned about travelling abroad and quality of medical service, some clinics abroad who decided to invite patients from abroad are certified by the International Football Federation as a FIFA Medical Clinic of Excellence – that means they are so professional that pro football players can receive treatment there, as well as the National Olympic team.
Orthopaedic surgery can be covered by the NHS and can be refunded if orthopaedic surgery is received in a private clinic abroad. Orthopaedic surgery abroad could be an alternative you can afford.