You can get private treatment abroad for any medical condition, providing you can pay for it. This could include treatment abroad in a private specialised hospital, by a clinic or state hospital abroad. It could also include dental treatment, cosmetic surgery and orthopaedic surgery, gynaecological surgery, fertility treatment or vein varicose treatment.
Why go for private treatment abroad?
You might want to get private health treatment abroad when:
• the treatment that you need isn’t available on the NHS. For example, cosmetic surgery, dental treatment, fertility treatment or vein varicose treatment
• there’s a long NHS waiting list and you don’t want to wait. In general you should receive surgery on NHS within 18 weeks, but this is often tend to be longer
• you want to choose the date for a hospital operation. By going abroad you can chose when to have it, so it dose not interfere with your life and plans
• you want to be treated by a consultant of your choice. You will be able to pick doctor who is expert in field of medicine not one who just started to practice
• you want a second opinion on treatment you’ve had on the NHS, many legal actions have proven that decision that was made by NHS might not be right one, if you feel that doctor is wrong going abroad could be option for you
• health screening is not available on NHS, but abroad cost for full body check up can be done in one day, and it can be combined with your short city brake.
Things to know about treatment abroad.
Before getting private treatment abroad, you might want to think about:
• whether you can afford it. The cost are likely to be very high in private clinics in UK, but abroad same or even beter service is availabe for fraction of cost – 50% or even -80%
• whether you would like to have just private treatment abroad or you would like to combine it with holidays
• chose specialised private hospital or chose multi diciplianary hospital abroad that could deal with any complications
• opposite private treatment in UK, patients who received treatment abroad in EU are entitled for NHS treatment after the private treatment
How to get private health treatment abroad
To find a private medical clinic abroad you could:
• make your reasurch, and decide your possible destonation country
• contact Medrefund LTD and ask for advice, as we do work only with best clinics in country and in doctors. Clinics that offer medical tourism service are usually providing high quality service and going extra mile
• look on the internet and ask question your concerned about
• contacting Medrefund prior treatment could reduce your cost even more as part of costs could be refunded by NHS.
Charges at private clinic abroad.
You should ask clinic abroad what the charges will be in advance and what would be included. Private treatment abroad can include full package that would include all starting from flight, accomodation, surgery, aftercare, or just treatment. Clinics usually do not charge more if an operation takes twice as long as it should.
We can check with NHS if treatment you are planning to receive is covered by NHS and will be refunded. First sight that you can have private treatment abroad paid by NHS is that your on waiting list.
Private clinic abroad has a legal duty of care towards you. This means that in an emergency, they must take reasonable steps to provide necessary treatment, even if this hasn’t been agreed in advance. You might not be charged for it if you have European Health Insurance Card, and you receive treatment in clinic that accepts it.
If you go to private hospital abroad
When you go into hospital for a private operation abroad, you will not be charged separately:
• your surgeon consultation
• an anaesthetist service
• accommodation, meals, laundry, nurses, drugs, medication, X-rays and blood tests.
Savings for private treatment abroad
The actual cost savings you can make by having private treatment abroad will vary depending on the procedure you want and the country you want to go. Many popular treatment destinations offer savings of half or even more compared to the cost of private general surgery in the UK.
Why private treatment abroad is cheaper
Private treatment abroad is cheaper because their costs of service are lower. The wages paid to the specialists and private clinic staff abroad can be far less than those paid in the UK. It is far less expensive to run a private clinic abroad than if it is to run one of a similar standard here in the UK, so clinic abroad do not cut their prices they don’t have to charge as much for their services.
Why patients chose to have private treatment abroad
There are more than one reasons depending on diagnose, required treatment, costs and others, these reasons include:
• – Costs of private treatment abroad – private treatment abroad can often be found at a fraction of the price in the UK.
• – No waiting times –NHS are having long waiting lists for treatment, but by travelling you can get treatment significantly sooner. And in some cases get refund for general surgery abroad.
• – New surgery treatments – NHS often offers cheapest available surgery, but in private clinic abroad you and your doctor can choose best available service
• – Specialist services – private clinics abroad tend to offer specialised medical staff and medical equipment. Cause if you are paying you are expecting high level surgeon and that is what private medical clinics abroad do offer
• – Service is not available on NHS – there are more than one treatment for same diagnose and we think you should be given a choice, so do EU, now you can chose specialist and clinic abroad and NHS will have to partly or fully cover costs of treatment according to EU directive.
Why chose private clinic abroad not in UK
- – Costs will be lower and by lower we meen 50-80 lower than in UK clinic
- – You can combine holidays with treatment
- – Possible refund from NHS
- – Treatment quality abroad is same or even better
- – guaranteed aftercare from NHS if necessary.
Private treatment abroad can be covered by NHS and can be refunded, even if it was planned and was received in a private clinic abroad. Treatment abroad could be alternative you can afford, and it can help you avoid NHS waiting list.