Claim A Refund For Treatment In Spain If You Had To Pay For Treatment in a private clinic or state hospital in Spain. The EU and UK Brexit agreement gives all people legally living in the UK the right to access emergency and necessary treatment whilst in Spain. And in this case, if you had to pay for your treatment you can apply for reimbursement from the NHS.
The EU and UK Brexit agreement NHS patients the right to receive emergency and unplanned healthcare services both in state and private clinics in Spain.
How to apply for an NHS refund for treatment received in Spain?
You will need to complete a form and send it to NHS together with medical documents and original receipts/proofs of payment. You can claim a refund after treatment. And it does not matter if you have already paid or just received the invoice.
The rules of the NHS refund form is quite complex. If you don’t follow the correct procedures eventually you can end with a refund application rejection. Rules and conditions of the NHS refund are different and depend on the area you’re living in. NHS England has 210 different regional bodies with their own rules and conditions for refunds.
Who can apply for an NHS refund for treatment received in Spain?
- All patients legally living in the UK;
- You do not need to be a British citizen;
- Permanent resident status not required;
- You do not need to have an employment contract.
Criteria to be eligible for NHS refund:
- You have to be able to prove that you live in the UK;
- Provided medical documents from the clinic, hospital or doctor in Spain containing, medical condition, diagnosis, and treatment received;
- Provide original receipts, invoices and proof of payment;
- Treatment had to be received in the EU or EEA.
- The treatment had to be available to the patient within the state system.
Claim back emergency treatment medical expenses.
You did not have an EHIC or GHIC card at the time of treatment? Clinic in the EU or EEA did not accept your EHIC or GHIC card? You still can claim back medical expenses for treatment in Spain even in these situations.