Claim A Refund For Treatment abroad If You Had To Pay For Treatment in private clinic or state hospital abroad. The EU Directive is giving all people legally living in the UK receive treatment abroad. You just have to live in the UK and you can apply for reimbursement from the NHS.
EU Directive gives NHS patients the right to receive planned, emergency and unplanned healthcare services abroad. Treatment can be both in state and private clinics abroad.
How to apply for an NHS refund for treatment abroad?
In order to apply for the reimbursement of your medical costs from Spain, you will need to complete a form! You will need to send a form to NHS England together with medical documents and original receipts/proofs of payment.
The rules on how to claim a refund from the NHS for treatment received in Spain are quite complex. If you don’t follow the correct procedures you will end with refund application rejection. Rules and conditions of the NHS refund are different and depend on the area you live in. Because NHS England has a hundred different regional bodies with their own rules and conditions of refund.
Who can apply for NHS refund for treatment received abroad?
- All patients legally living in England;
- You do not need to be a British citizen;
- No need to have permanent resident status;
- You do not need to have an employment contract.
Eligibility criteria for NHS refund:
- You have to able to prove that you live in England;
- Provided medical documents from the clinic, hospital or doctor abroad containing, medical condition, diagnosis, and treatment received;
- Provide original receipts, invoice and proof of payment;
- Treatment has to be received in EU (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden);
- The treatment has to be available to the patient in your regional NHS.
- Reimbursement will be limited to the cost of the same or similar treatment under the NHS.
Claim back medical expenses when EHIC card was rejected.
Your EHIC card was not accepted by a clinic in the EU? You did not have an EHIC card at the time of treatment? You still can claim back medical expenses from for treatment abroad. EHIC does not give you the right to receive treatment in private clinics but EU directive allowed it.
What to do if EHIC refund for treatment abroad was rejected?
Usually, there is only one reason when EHIC refund application can be rejected. EHIC does not cover healthcare service provided a private clinic or hospital abroad. If your EHIC was rejected, You can still apply for NHS refund.
How to claim back medical expenses from NHS?
You can make a claim on your own or you can trust the company that has made approximately 10% of all claims in the UK. If you are interested in our service please fill in a Claim form for a refund for treatment abroad from NHS and we will do the heavy lifting and guide you through the process.