Claim A Refund For Treatment abroad If You Had To Pay For Treatment in private clinic or state hospital abroad. The EU Directive is giving all people legally living in UK receive treatment abroad. You just have to live in UK and you can apply for reimbursement from the NHS.
EU Directive gives NHS patients the right to receive planned, emergency and unplanned healthcare services abroad. Treatment can be both in state and private clinics abroad.
How to apply for a NHS refund for treatment abroad?
In order apply for the reimbursement of your medical costs from Spain you will need to complete a form! You will need to send form to NHS England together with medical documents and original receipts / proofs of payment.
The rules on how to claim refund from the NHS for treatment received in Spain are quite complex. If you don’t follow the correct procedures you will end with refund application rejection. Rules and conditions of the NHS refund are different and depend on area you live in. Because NHS England have hundred different regional bodies with their own rules and conditions of refund.
Who can apply for NHS refund for treatment received abroad?
- All patients legally living in England;
- You do not need to be British citizen;
- No need to have permanent resident status;
- You do not need to have a employment contract.
You have to meet the following criteria to be eligible for NHS refund:
- You have to able to prove that you live in England;
- Provided medical documents from the clinic, hospital or doctor abroad containing, medical condition, diagnosis, and treatment received;
- Provide original receipts, invoice and proof of payment;
- Treatment has to be received in EU (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden);
- Treatment has to be available to the patient in your regional NHS.
- Reimbursement will be limited to the cost of the same or similar treatment under the NHS.
Claim back medical expenses from for treatment abroad when EHIC card was rejected.
Your EHIC card was not accepted by clinic in the EU? You did not have a EHIC card at time of treatment? You still can claim back medical expenses from for treatment abroad. EHIC dose not give you right to receive treatment in private clinics but EU directive allowed it.
What to do if EHIC refund for treatment abroad was rejected?
Usually there is only one reason when EHIC refund application can be rejected. EHIC dose not cover healthcare service provided private clinic or hospital in Spain. If your EHIC was rejected, You can still apply for NHS refund.